Illustration: Danny Roberts
Spring Summer 2012 Male Fashion Trends
I got back to my male friends who are always asking me where they can get clothing. I must confess that some of the questions are so specific that at times I´ve had to resort to my male model friends to make sure I guide them properly. This time though it was different as Siren Productions, lead by the very professional and experienced Lexie Jansma (CEO) with the help of her amazing Models Manager Gryphon Ronas, launched the SS 2012 MWFW. For an entire week the SL Fashion World concentrated exclusively on Men. There were several shows each day and various parties. Men were everywhere. They were shopping for the trends they had experienced in each of the runway shows. MWFW gathered industry professionals from all areas, from Event Planners, to Modeling Agencies, Designers, Stores, Builders, DJ´s, Models, Hostesses, Photographers, Choreographers and Writers. They were all there together doing what they do best as they honored the other half of a thriving industry.
sYs MyLord and Dura Hair for the Viktor/Viktoria Show
Two Main Tendencies
As I received the invitation I hurriedly passed it to my friends. Men, it seems to me, were starving for some fashion mesh or not. My male friends are looking for a clean, modern take. If the Fashion World in RL thrives on rapidly changing industry tastes; in SL this is no exception. These men are searching for ¨post SL Sumo wrestler, comic-book-hero-muscled¨ body type shapes. These extremely muscular shapes, although popular in the past among the male SL population, are now totally over, caput and finito. Men are now striving for more natural looking shapes and most women are delighted that the incredible hulk look is gone. No need to purchase a different shape; a simple – or not so simple – editing of your shape will suffice. Think your actual RL figure dimensional equivalents and definition.
Starchild Design Pin-Up
Ever since the advent of Andrej Pejic – dubbed the prettiest boy in the world – to the RL fashion runway rounds, my male model friends have displayed a tendency towards the androgynous, non-gender biased look, once considered to be the realm of women alone since the 1920´s. The andro look has evolved thru the different decades since women got rid of the corset and embraced more manly looks. From the adoption of trousers to the famous YSL Tuxedo Le Smoking in the 70´s, women have been the only ones allowed the look until now. To pull out the look (whether you are a man or a woman) you need to carefully balance both the feminine and masculine traits of your personally and externalize them. Otherwise you will look like a man in drag which is a totally different look altogether. This is not about transexualism or transvestism but about undefined gender balance.
E-Clipse Rockabi´ly Rumble worn with Dura Boys & Girls Hair # 15
Top 20 Spring Summer 2012 Men Fashion Trends
So what´s going to be hot this Spring Summer 2012 in SecondLife, besides ¨To Mesh or Not Mesh? Here is my roundup …
- 1. Earthy colors and natural fibers.
- 2. Borrowed from RL: The other extreme sharp colors.
- 3. Big sweaters like those found at Gizza .
- 4. As well as leather Jackets also found there.
- 5. Suits worn without a conventional tie as those found at KMadd and Sartoria. This last one is 50% off right now.
- 6. Borrowed from RL: Neckties (as in a small scarf rolled on the neck).
- 7. For those on the cutting edge of Fashion the 70´s inspired Glam look a la Ziggy Stardust was also hot.
- 8. Perfectly well fitted hats (if it´s ill fitting, either fix it or remove it).
- 9. Androgynous looks at Cheerno.
- 10. Glasses and scarfs accessories.
- 11. Futuristic looks such as those found at sYs and House of RFYRE.
- 12. Short or mid length hair never longer.
- 13. Punkish looks as found at Gabriel.
- 14. Casual chic looks from Aleida.
- 15. Printed t-shirts from Egoisme.
- 16. Retro Looks perfect for roleplay at Starchild Designs
- 17. Skins by Tellaq, Redgrave and Unique (if on sale make a double take on this last one as sometimes what is really on sale might not be so easily recognized) for a distinctly masculine look that attracts girls.
- 18. Skins by Tableau Vivant and Egoisme for a more Andro look.
- 19. Natural looking eyes are a must.
- 20. The best quality boots you can afford.
Starchild Design Burlesque
Back at Siren´s MWFW the last show had taken place; exhausted models TP´d home looking forward to rest … I was one of them … The greatest men´s fashion event in SL ended with a blast and a lot of whistles…whewww whewwwww !
Until next week … Muahkiss
VR Writer, Photographer, Model & Stylist
InWorld Magazine / InWorld Models
Fleur Du Mal Models