Throughout his life, and beyond the artisan that is so well known, Leonardo da Vinci envisioned a multitude of mechanical creations and constructed many of them, much to the amazement of his peers and supporters. A great many of the inventions were practical for the time, whether for military purposes, to address engineering needs, or to serve a variety of useful purposes. Still others were beyond the scope of Renaissance times and would not become a reality until centuries later.
Second Life resident, Sniper Siemens, has duplicated an impressive number of da Vinci inventions and with the cooperation of the Linden Endowment for the Arts, these 3D replicates are now on display for everyone to enjoy.
Artist: Sniper Siemens
Project: da Vinci’s World
Exhibit dates: May 22 – July 21, 2013
Location: LEA25 sim
Notecard provided at the LEA25 daVinci exhibit:
The Linden Endowment for the Arts (LEA) was established to help create a center of arts activity in Second Life. It is a collaborative venture between Linden Lab and the arts community. Guided by a dedicated board of renowned Second Life artists, the LEA is committed to providing access to engaging experiences in the arts for the Second Life community. Through its exhibitions, programs, and events, the LEA fosters awareness of artists’ contributions to our virtual world and encourages others to get involved and be inspired.
The LEA is run and organized by users of Second Life, with resources generously donated by Linden Lab. The LEA strives to:
- Provide a starting point for artists in Second Life, and for those interested in art to make connections and display their work.
- Encourage and cultivate art and artists within Second Life.
- Foster community, creativity, and innovation among artists and all residents interested in art.
- Provide a way for artists to promote their art.
- Collaborate with existing art regions, galleries, exhibits, and performance spaces to help nurture their valuable participation in SL arts.
This fascinating exhibit is only available for a limited time, so don’t hesitate to experience all that it has to offer!
Visit the Linden Endowment for the Arts blog for more details from SL creator, Sniper Siemens.
The official LEA website provides a general overview of other in-world events and artists.